08 January 2010

Sibling Rivalry Begins Early

Most of you reading this will be aware of the events of this week but for those of you who aren't, let me relay some of the details.

On Tuesday morning I learned that sibling rivalry can begin very, very early. Apparently, Lovebug is feeling the need to usurp her sister's birth story:

I went into preterm labor on Tuesday morning. Dave flew home from work and we took the Pumpkin down to Holland Hospital with us where my mom met us and took the girl with her. At first, things sounded optimistic. I wasn't having contractions yet, the bleeding had pretty much subsided, and a quick look by the doctor made it look like I hadn't dilated too far. But there was still quite a bit of blood, so despite not liking to do cervical checks before 34 weeks, she thought she had better. I was dilated much, much too far for 33 weeks. And then the contractions began.

The doctor told me that they had to put me on magnesium sulfate, which is the same drug I was on while in labor with Sylvia last year. Last year it was to prevent seizures due to preeclampsia. This year it was to try and stop labor. I begged and pleaded with the doctor if there were some other way. She said that because I was dilated so far and in active labor they had to take the most aggressive route possible.

The mag eventually worked (after a dose increase Tuesday night). Wednesday night they weaned me off and all was well until about 3:00 a.m. when the contractions began again. They started a new drug, but the contractions continued, so they had to increase the dose and frequency. By Thursday morning I was on a white liquid only diet in case surgery were needed that afternoon. In the end, the new medication (taken orally), while not able to completely cease the contractions, has kept me from dilating further. I was released from the hospital yesterday afternoon and put on total bed rest. I was also told that I needed to reside near the hospital, so that has Sylvia and me staying with my parents. (We live over an hour away from the hospital, and if the weather were to turn bad it could be a very, very long trip.)

An ultrasound Wednesday morning showed that Lovebug is doing very, very well. She is plenty active, her weight is good and her heart rate is excellent. There is one concern: My amniotic fluid levels are a little low. This confused the doctor a little as I was being pumped with fluids through IV's, drinking plenty of fluids on my own, and was on bed rest-- all factors which should increase fluid levels. I was already scheduled for an ultrasound this coming Wednesday and fluid levels will be checked again.

In the meantime, I will be living at my parent's house until I reach 36 weeks. I take medication every four hours, which while MUCH better than the mag, does have some side effects. Dave will live at home, so he can still go to work, and stay with us on the weekends. Things are rough, but I feel very blessed to have such an amazing husband, family and friends.


Ria said...

Oh my dear,
It has been very exciting this week and I checked my mail several times a day also at work. I hope you are feeling better now. I have been sending a mail back on yours this week but it returned undeliverable.
Please send me your parents adres to me.
Pleeeeeeaaaaaase take good care of yourself and Veda. We are thinking about you all a lot and in thoughts we are with you.
A very big hug and lots of love, Ria

Lesley said...

Oh Val!! Keeping you and your bug in my prayers. Hang tight little bug- just a few more weeks!! If you need anything, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.